Searching the Cookbooks

Life goes on, day after day. Our basic needs must be met. We need to eat. That means someone has to cook. That someone is always me. Every day, at midday, I open the fridge and decide what to make for lunch.

Luckily, I like to cook in general. I like good, tasty food. But that doesn't mean that having to cook seven days a week, 365 days a year, with special menus for special days, doesn't take a toll on me. There are days I wish we could order or that we could go eat out. That doesn't happen, because there are no restaurants in the area that deliver, and, economically speaking, eating out on a regular basis is not an option. 

So, I open the fridge and look at my options. I made chops two days ago. I made caldo yesterday. I made a chicken stew last Thursday. I made a fish stew on Friday. I keep looking at my options. I am so jaded that nothing comes to mind. I take out a packet of pork loin chops from the freezer and something creeps into my head. Scalloped potatoes with the chops? First of all, is there any culinary objection by anyone that has to eat it? As long as I don't put in cream or cheese, not that I can recall.  

Keeping in mind everyone's tastes and dislikes is also difficult, sometimes. My husband wants nothing to do with cream, mayonnaise, butter, or cheese. My father is a meat and potatoes man who does not get along with a simple salad. Pizza is not an option, and a pasta salad, however much meat it might have, either. My daughter, when she is home, will eat most things, except peas, carrots, and onions. She is sharing her student apartment with vegans, who do the cooking, so I don't know just how well fed she can be, with her objection to certain vegetables. I will eat most things, but am trying to keep the fats and sugars low, not that I can always manage it. Trying to hit on one dish that everyone will like is sometimes hit or miss. It's a good thing no one has a special needs diet! 

So, the potatoes and chops are ready to go in the oven. I just hope I don't have most of it left over to finish off tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night....

Resultado de imagen para scalloped potatoes and pork chops
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.