Unsolicited and Unwanted

Mayoral candidates are getting desperate. Apart from the cars with loudspeakers annoying the households on the roads, they've decided to go door to door. Yesterday afternoon I was aware someone was standing outside my door when the dog started barking and wouldn't stop (my doorbell doesn't work). So I opened the door and there are a bunch of people with flyers, pens, candy, and lighters, all with the logo of the PP, the conservative party. The leader was opening his mouth to speak when I shook my head and said, "Bye." They shrugged their shoulders and I closed the door. 

They couldn't have known it, but if there's one thing I do not abide, it's someone showing up at my door and trying to convince me about something. From Jehovah's Witnesses to political candidates, to marketers of different phone companies, just the sight of them on my doorstep is enough to raise my hackles. I like to search for information on my own and make my own, unhurried decisions. Whenever someone tries to convince me to switch electric companies, I feel like something is being shoved down my throat and I'm choking on it. 

Of course, their appearance means that somewhere my data is collected and used against me. When my daughter was in primary school, encyclopedia sellers would show up. They would try to convince me that for over a thousand euros in comfortable monthly payments, their books were the only thing that would make sure my daughter would get good grades in school. No. Someone else once came and tried to sell me a bunch of cookpots for five hundred euros (always in comfortable payments) that would practically cook the food without my interfering. No. And how many times have Jehovah's Witnesses tried to convince me the only way to salvation was in the literal interpretation of the Bible and my acceptance of Jesus as my savior! No. And these days the appearance of candidates for mayor saying vote for the only sensible choice. No. 

Maybe I should put a notice saying no solicitation. What am I saying? I live in Spain. No one would even look at it before knocking on my door to convince me the moon is made of green cheese.

Image result for front doors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.