Say Cheese!

I have a small camera that I keep in my purse. It's small and inexpensive. I got it when my phone camera started doing strange things and I was reluctant to send it to be fixed. Eventually, I did, but that small camera is still in my purse. Whenever I'm out on errands, or simply on a drive, I will almost always find something I want to remember. 

I have always loved photography, though I'll never become a professional photographer. When I was eighteen, my parents bought me a Canon SLR with two lenses. I learned to use it and loved how I could almost always capture what I saw or wanted to see. Back then it was film, though, and a roll of 24 or 36 pictures wasn't cheap to develop. I couldn't shoot all the pictures I wanted whenever I wanted. But in over the twenty years I used it, I took many pictures. 

Then digital came along. At first I resisted. To use film correctly and creatively, you had to have a minimum of knowledge and bracket above and below what you consider correct exposure for the effect you want. With digital, all you have to do is use a computer program to make a bad photo good or simply different. It seems more like a glorification of electronics and computers than a means of expression. With time I have acquired a digital SLR and learned to use it. It is different, and still not as creative in my opinion, but there is no end to the photos I can take. As long as there is a computer to see them. That is a major drawback for me. A paper photo can be looked at at any time. A digital photo must have a computer and electricity. 

Still, it's convenient, and that's why I carry a small, inexpensive camera with me. The digital SLR I keep for larger trips and occasional events. I want to capture the moods I see in a shape, a shadow, a color. Sometimes a different point of view is something I want to record. The colors at sunset, sometimes thrilling, make me take out my camera. I have few pictures of people. Yes, I have pictures of my immediate family and some friends. But, mostly, of locations and moods. Also, I have few pictures of me. I don't like selfies. And since I'm usually the one holding the camera, my picture remains in limbo. 

There are some high clouds this afternoon. Let's see if they bring a spectacular sunset. 












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.