September Melancholy

September. Beginnings and endings. Last night it became very clear that summer has ended. A cold front came through, leaving lashings of rain to make up for a dry summer. This morning I've had to wear long pants for the first time since June. In a normal year, the winter rains begin now. These past few years we've had rainy summers and dry falls. Though a summer drought like this year's is not so normal, fall is beginning as it should.

The rain wreaked havoc with our town's festival, though. The Festa da Guadalupe has become quite famous over the years and now lasts an entire week. Last night's music had to be cancelled and rescheduled for the 20th. Too much rain and wind kept everyone home. The festival also marks the end of summer and the beginning of the school year. Back when towns marked their own first day of school, classes always began after the festival. Now, the regional government doesn't take into account local festivities, and elementary school and university began this Monday. Junior and high school, however, begin next week. But the local elementary school kids showed up for the first day, and then most of them won't be seen inside the school grounds until next week. It has long been accepted by the teachers, who don't penalize for these days. 

This past Sunday evening we also began our weekly pilgrimage with our daughter to her student apartment in Santiago. Since she's renting the same apartment as last year, the landlord kindly let her keep all her stuff there. He even generously said she could sleep over during the summer if she wanted to spend a night with friends in Santiago. So there wasn't as much to fill the trunk of the car, nor did we have to do multiple trips. But it does feel strange not having her around the house like we did all summer. She's happy, she likes what she studies, she has new roommates she seems to get along well with, but I've gotten used to calling out and having her answer me. Now we send Whatsapps after lunch and at odd times during the afternoon and evening. 

And so summer is ended. It's always a sad moment. While I melt and suffer on the super hot days, I love summer. I love the light, the warmth, the scenery. I love being able to slip on just a couple of pieces of clothing and be ready for the day. I love pulling back the bedcovers without emerging into a gelid room. I love the lingering warmth during twilight, and sitting on the still-warm stoop looking at the colors in the sunset sky. I love the care-free feeling of sunny days, when there are still hours and hours of light after I finish my last class. I love waking up with the sun and then trying to sleep a little more, knowing it won't still be dark when I get up. I love the smells of heated pine needles in the afternoon sun, and of roses in the morning freshness. I love the delicate, naughtily innocent smell of orange blossoms in early summer. But, slowly, that is coming to an end for the year.

Goodbye, summer! See you next year!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.