Blue is Best

While the world merrily stumbles along the road to damnation, I have made a radical change. I have already been changing slowly with the years. From being just left of center on my political views, I am going further west, though I will never reach Communism or Anarchism - they just don't work. I have eschewed wearing comfortable non-violent colors to favoring COLOR. I fell in love a few years ago with the clothing brand Desigual. It's a Spanish company based in Barcelona that makes clothes, shoes and handbags with bold, competing colors and designs. Unfortunately, my girth does not allow me to wear all of its designs, nor does my purse. I go during sales to see if there's something nice that will fit me and my budget. 

I mentioned my latest intention the week before I did it, and was simply told, "Go for it." So, I went for it, and dyed the front of my hair bright blue. Since I am timid on the thought of doing something myself that might have unintended consequences for too many weeks, I went to the hairdresser. After two hours, I had a haircut (which I needed, anyway) and bright blue hair looking at me in the mirror. Yes, I attracted some looks on the way home. My daughter told me I should have done it myself and saved money. My husband make a double take and screamed. I reminded him he had been warned, and he smiled and said, "If you like it, that's fine." Well, yes, I do like it.  

It's different. It's a dare for me, a normally shy and introverted person, to go out in public looking different from the norm. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of doing something that made me stick out in the crowd. Now, while my ability to enjoin in small talk still remains elusive, I have stopped caring very much what strangers think of when they see me. As I grow older, I realize more and more that what others think doesn't matter. What matters is how I see myself and if I am at peace with myself. And I am at peace with my blue hair.
 

Comments

  1. Love your blue hair and applaud you for doing this. Live life for you & not for approval of others. As a woman of *cough* comely proportions, as in there is a LOT of me I used to try to be invisible to avoid any insults about my appearance. However - when I hit 40 something happened, my inner rebel took control & from having no tattoos & piercings I now have 4 tattoos, 14 piercings & vibrant purple & blue hair. When I go out I look people directly in the eye & guess what ~ have received support from strangers in the street, supermarket & basically anywhere out of the house. It's empowering ~ please continue forward from this step to do precisely what you want to with you hair & clothes. I am sending you a high five and a big hug xx��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tanya! It seems that as we grow older, we realize that the most important part of life is living it - the way we want to and not how others want us to. Thanks for the hug; another big one is going out to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.