Howls

There are days one wishes to turn back the clock to the moment they woke up and start over again. There are days that make you want to howl. Tuesday was such a day. 

I wanted to make a recipe for lunch of baked fish which required white wine and lemons. Since I had neither, around eleven in the morning I set out down the road to the small grocery store at the center of the parish. As I was approaching, the car started to make a strange sound and it listed to the left. Not again. I pulled over and parked.

Last Saturday I had gotten a flat on the highway and the spare was still on the car since it was the same size as the other tires, and new tires had been ordered but were still destined to arrive on Tuesday afternoon. So now, I got out of the car and saw that the spare was flat as a pancake.

First howl. To top it off, I had left my phone at home because there had been no need to bring it on such a short trip. Second howl. I closed the car and started walking back home. It was a three minute drive, but a thirty minute walk. I passed my brother-in-law's house, but decided not to bother him for a ride back. The walk would do me good and let me decide on a plan of attack. I had already decided to wait until my husband got home for lunch to take his car and see if his spare would fit mine, when my brother-in-law pulled to the curb in front of me. So, it turned out I could have bothered him, after all, since it seemed he had planned to drive out in my direction.

I get in the car and he said my husband had called him because I hadn't answered my phone. He had given instructions to go pick up his car at the job he was working at because he had had a small accident and was being taken to the clinic to be checked out. Third howl.

So we go and find out from his boss he had been taken from the clinic to a private hospital in Santiago to have x-rays done. Fourth howl. From the worksite, my brother-in-law and I drive back to where I had left my car, after having explained my situation to him. It turned out my husband's spare didn't fit my car, and that we had to call a tow truck to take it to the garage. Fifth howl. 

The first sigh of relief of the day was when, back at home, the man from the tow truck called me and said that the car had a new tire and that I could go pick it up whenever I liked. That meant I didn't have to wait until 3:30 when the garage opened in the afternoon. It also meant I could go to Santiago much sooner to see what had happened to my husband. 

The second sigh of relief was when I discovered my husband would get better. The sixth howl was when I was told he had a broken rib. Pain and patience are to be his mainstay for the next couple of weeks or more. 

The days of howling can stay away. Please.

Grúa, Coche Pequeño, Pkw, Auto, Vehículo
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.