Who Needs Money?

The bean stew is starting to bubble, the sun is shining warmly after a cool dawn in the upper thirties, and the children from the school of San Ildefonso are singing the Christmas lottery on television. I know I'm not going to win anything other than a possible reimbursement on a number, yet I don't care. My lower back has decided to hurt, but I don't care, either.

It's a funny morning. It's a satisfied and happy morning. The cats are meowing all over the house, my husband and I are having our private jokes, and we await our daughter's arrival this evening for Christmas break. There is no real reason for being happy, yet I am. Happiness is a state of mind that the little things foment. Who cares about winning the lottery? With every passing year becoming monetarily rich is the least of my ambitions. I am already rich. 

The only thing I wish for is a little more money every month to meet my every need, and a couple of extras, like being able to save up for another week's vacation one of these years. But I don't need millions in the bank. I don't need the latest, biggest, most expensive cell phone. I don't need the flashiest car. I don't need the latest fashions in clothes or shoes. I just need what I already have.

I need love. And I have it. I need good food. I have it. I need clothing and a roof. I have them. There's much missing, such as central heating, but my necessities are covered. The only thing missing is the ability to wander around the world at a whim. That might never appear, but I still treasure the moments in my memory of the places I've been. I might yet be able to visit some more; I hope so. 

The lottery is a pretty thing if you win some money. But it doesn't really matter. If we were to open our eyes, we would realize that most of us already have riches beyond the wildest wealth. Would we really be happier being the CEO of our own company, with billions in the bank and in investments? No, because the thing that make us happy can't be deposited in the bank. It has to be spent to make us rich. We spend love, and we win love. Who needs money if we have all the love we want?

Globo, Corazón, Amor, Romance, Cielo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.