Fashion In, Fashion Out

I have three director's chairs in my study which are comfortable and practical. If I don't need one I simply fold it and put it away. Unfortunately, the seat fabric on one of them has torn. So today I went searching for another replacement chair. 

How difficult can it be to find a folding director's chair? More difficult than you can imagine. I went to the place where I had bought the ones I have. They didn't have any more, just a folding lawn chair that cost too much and regular wooden or metal folding chairs. So from there I went to the local Leroy Merlin and searched. Now if I had wanted to pay seventy euros for a teak wooden garden chair I was fine. No dice. From there to a furniture store that advertised auxiliary furniture. By that they meant hall tables and bookcases. No folding chairs. At my wits end I went to the two major Chinese bazaars in the area. I walked down endless aisles, passing every imaginable household item till I found folding chairs. More than chairs they were folding kitchen stools. It was almost twelve o'clock. Time to go home and make lunch.

I abandoned the search. There are two other places around here that pop into mind. After that I don't know. A few years ago director's chairs were popular and you could find them at a dozen stores. But fashions change. And now they're not so popular. So manufacturerers have decided not to make any more for now, even if some people like them. It's like clothing fashions. A few years ago it was the fashion to wear jeans during the summer. Now, if there's one thing sacred to me that's wearing shorts in the summer heat. I had to move heaven and earth to find decent shorts for me during those years. Now, they're back, but from normal length a couple of years ago, they've shrunk to panty-sized last year and this year they're almost thong-sized. From one extreme to the other and you can never find anything in the middle.

Shopping when your tastes are your own and not like those of half the population is difficult. You have something in mind and know exactly what you want, yet it's impossible to find because it's not something trendy. Why is it so difficult to follow your own path without having to jostle with others on the same, boring path?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.