One Buzz

All it takes is one high-pitched whining buzz and an itch. That's how you know you have a mosquito in your bedroom. That's how you start dreaming about drones and planes, shrieking, diving at you to deliver destruction. Destruction of your precious sleep and peace of mind.

One very important thing about Boston that I miss is window screens. In Boston all we had to do was be careful with screen doors and windows and the little buggers would bump against the wire with all their frustration and we could laugh at them. I think most of the mosquitos in Boston migrated to Spain, knowing about our lack of screens. Because screens are non-existant here. Whenever I mention them, people screw up their face in thought and say, "You mean you have wire over your windows in America? How strange." There are only two ways to avoid mosquitos in summer. The first is to keep your windows closed all day and all night and suffocate in your sleep. The second is to use a bottle of insect repellant you plug in. The mosquitos breathe it in and don't bother you. It's like mosquito catnip. However, you're also breathing it in. While humans are way bigger than mosquitos, I still don't relish the thought of putting more chemicals in my lungs. 

So, I'm left with slapping the air and myself when I wake up scratching an exposed area of my anatomy during the night and hearing the familiar whine. Of course, they don't bother my husband. He laughs at me and says they're attracted to my because my blood is sweet. They all focus on me and I feel like an enormous bulls-eye painted on the bed which the mosquitos attack with unerring precision. GRRRR.  

Image result for mosquito bites clipart

Comments

  1. bzzzzzzzz how can anything that small make so much noise?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.