Eeny Meeny, Miny Moe

The spirit of wanderlust is upon me. This afternoon, after I finish classes, I'm thinking of getting in my car and going somewhere. I should be thinking about washing clothes, washing some windows, taking some of the inch-deep dust off the bookcases, but none of this sounds appealing. What sounds appealing is getting in my car and pointing it in an interesting direction.

So, where? I don't know. I have images in my head of the road trip I'll take down to Portugal next month. But that's an all-day trip I can't quite fit into two hours in the afternoon. City or country? If I choose city it'll probably be Pontevedra or Santiago, the two small cities that are closest. Vigo and A Coruña are too far away. They need more dedication. Country? There I have more options. I can go up to the hills again. I can try a different route this time and avoid the tourist hordes. There are supposed to be archeologists digging Neolithical burial mounds (mámoas) along the road leading to the old American tracking station. The beach is iffy because it may not be warm enough today. But a drive along the coast is interesting. And I heard about some ruins near Aldán that sound promising. They're called El Bosque Encantado (The Enchanted Forest) and are well preserved ruins of an old mansion. Photos I've seen of it on internet look spooky enough to awake my interest. 

Of course, I could always be sensible and stay home, do the chores that need doing and save gas and money. On a sunny August afternoon? Naaah.


Comments

  1. Go...the dust will wait for you. On your deathbed you'll remember the trip more than the dust...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.