Summer, Come Back!

Days are getting shorter now we're past the midway mark of August. It's almost a quarter past ten and the sky is a gradient of blue, navy up above and turquois at the horizon. Back in June the sun would be just touching the horizon at this hour. 

Already the night is turning cool. A month ago you could still feel the heat of the day at this hour. Now it's cool enough to put on a sweater to sit outside under the yellow glow of the streetlight. A little later on I'll start to close windows to avoid having a chill breeze settle over me as I try to sleep. The blanket on the bed is welcome now and some nights I'm thinking of piling on another one. Today was a beautiful day, but the past couple of weeks have been cool and rainy. The house hasn't accumulated as much heat as usual this year. 

In the morning the sun comes up later and makes it harder to get up earlier. In June the sky was light around six. Now at seven it's still grey. I feel sleepier later in the morning now than I did in June. 

August has always signalled goodbye to summer for me. The wonderful months are from May to July. They're the months of light and warmth where the onset of fall and the darkness of winter is still far away. But in August the long black December nights are closer. If it's a warm August I don't notice it as much, but this year it has been mostly dark, grey, and wet in our area. It's felt as if autumn has already appeared. 

I need to head south and follow the light in the winter, just like the birds!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.