Reality vs Intelligence

If I hear people yelling and screaming on a Friday night, I know someone has turned on the television. On that night there is a "talk" show that appeals to anyone who follows the farándula, or the lives of the famous and wannabe famous. It's called Sálvame Deluxe (Save Me Deluxe). I have no idea why, but whenever I see the title I always say to myself, "from ghoulies and tongues that wag in the night, save me." If you happen to turn it on, you will find yourself melting into a puddle of consternation that it can be considered of world-halting importance just why someone didn't wear a beige jacket someone gave her instead of a leather jacket she had just bought. The implications are shown to be such that they could cause oil prices to jump in Borneo.

There are decent talk shows that talk about things that matter, but even in these they throw a sop to those gossips who care only about what the Prime Minister ate for breakfast instead of what services he plans to cut next. Television has degenerated so, that I await American police shows to turn on the television. There used to be intelligent Spanish and Galician comedies on television that would light up some nights. Also, interesting documentaries and intelligent talk shows. But the last comedy ended last week. The ones that are left are generally mind-numbing, in which you just don't laugh because the comedy appeals to a ten-year-old. Documentaries have been replaced with movies, some good, but some that make you shudder, and many that are forgettable. Then there are home-grown dramas that read more like soap operas. And then there are the reality shows.

I always understood a reality show as a show where real life was showcased. I remember when the first Gran Hermano (Big Brother) was presented. I watched the first couple of episodes thinking it might be interesting. I ended up preferring to watch my neighbors out the window. It was more interesting to watch them work in the garden, take out the tractor, leave in the car, and watch company arrive than to watch ten or twelve total strangers go, "Well?", "Don't look at me.", or mumble, "I miss my pooch.", while they lounge around on large sofas or huddle under blankets on a bed. And yet, the show still continues. And it has spun off a talk show, as well. (Spaniards love to talk!)

Then there's another show that's a twist on finding the love of your life. It's called Adán y Eva (Adam and Eve). A man and a woman have to spend some time together on a tropical island totally naked. It has also spun off a talk show called Pecadores (Sinners) or Pecados (Sins), I'm not sure which. I suppose it's a product of the "sex sells" theory of television publicity. No, I haven't watched an episode yet. Nor do I want to.

Feel like you're looking ugly? Then get in contact with Cámbiame (Change Me). No, I haven't seen this one, either. But I have seen the publicity for this week's episode. There will be the makeover of a laboratory assistant who feels ugly. To me she wasn't pretty, but she wasn't ugly, either. And how desperate can someone feel to get a makeover on national television because they have low self-esteem and feel a plain Jane? I suppose a show that taught people to feel good about themselves as they are wouldn't sell. The story of the transformation of the ugly duckling has never been understood, I suppose.

If television reaches out to the lowest common denominator, does this mean general intelligence has hit an IQ of minus five?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.