How to Choose?

The Facebook pastel group I belong to has posted next Friday's painting challenge. We have to choose something that gives us comfort and paint it. We can't cheat and choose something easy. The argument is that if we love it, painting it will become easy.

I have noticed that painting with pastels has become easier for me. What isn't easy for next Friday's challenge is settling on something that makes me comfortable. Where do I begin?

Books, cats, kittens, food (yes, it does), daughter, husband, sun, sunsets, driving, lying in bed, falling asleep, painting, writing, going to a stationery store, going to a bookstore, words, walking in Santiago, morning coffee, taking photos, looking at photos, and so much else that doesn't come to mind at the moment. What do I paint?

I suppose I'm lucky to have so many things in my life I can call comfortable. Too many people in the world have too little comfort or peace. Perhaps I'll go with a painting of some of my books. Many have brought much comfort over different times in my life, including some very needy moments. I'm still not much of a portrait or pet artist, and actions don't lend themselves to still-life. 

What makes you comfortable?

 

Comments

  1. It is almost impossible to list all the comfortable and happy things in my life. I would find it hard to narrow it down. There was a period I journaled by sketches and haikus. The drawing and forcing the description into the 5-7-5 format made the joy greater.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.