The Hills to the East
The Romans reached this area, and, of course, exploited it. They took iron, gold, and antimony back to the Empire. There are still abandoned mines to be found, including tunnels near the village of Romeor. To get to them, you need to cross the village, and walk just over a kilometer up the mountain. We got to the stepping off point, but it was beginning to rain, we weren't in possession of a flashlight nor proper, waterproofed footwear, so we put it off for another year.
There's plenty of iron in the hills, too. We re-stumbled upon a smithy that was over two hundred years old. It's in the appropriately named village of Ferrería, near Seoane. (Ferrería means smithy.) The building is made of slate, and is in private hands, though the regional government plans to, at some time in the future, make an ethnographical museum. The smithy has a sign saying, "Gran Ferrería Locay," and is named for the man who came from making a fortune in Cuba in 1918, and bought it as an inversion. He converted it into an electric plant, giving electricity to seven villages, a mill, and a sawmill; and all that using hydraulic power from the river that runs next to it.
The area is quiet. There is an area next to the river with tables and chairs, where drinks and food are served in the summer. When we were there, it seemed closed. September is no longer summer, it seems. That area and the smithy still belongs to the descendents of the man who bought the smithy and the surrounding land in 1918. The smithy was restored by the regional government in the late 1990's, and was supposed to be open to the public. But differences between the government and the owners meant that it is only open once a year, when the owners have a musical jamboree night at the beginning of August.
These hills and valleys have hidden gems and untold stories that would fill volumes. All the greens of the universe are there; stones almost as old, as well. We've been four times, we will return many more.
Comments
Post a Comment