Just Walk

I don't have a couch. Our house is too small. We do have a couple of comfortable director's chairs in my study, though. So, I'm a director's chair potato. For some unfathomable reason, nature has seen fit to regale me with interests that are best enjoyed sitting or standing quietly. Show me a pair of gym shorts and I'll put them on; but to escape the summer heat in my study. 

Unfortunately, my body was gifted with a looooong metabolism. So long that the few calories I ingest act upon my body as if I had sat down to a five course banquet at every meal. The sedentary interests and my body don't go well together. 

Once upon a few years ago, I walked a few days every week, for about an hour. That was the time I lost some weight, though I never made it back down to where I was when I got married. Those fifty-two kilos, roughly a hundred fifteen pounds, were the product of well over a year of eating better and moving my body. But, at twenty, the body is more elastic, and responds better to outside stimulants. Now, it has ossified in its preferences, and finds it difficult to nudge outside its groove.

With this good weather, I find myself itching to get moving (the blue skies have brainwashed me). So, last Thursday I started walking again, but on a shorter circuit than the one I travelled years ago. I walk down the lane through the fields to the villages, and back along the road. It's a nice walk, twenty minutes total, with a steep hike at the end. I am full of enthusiasm, thinking of how to plan my training. For about a week, this route. Next week, walk to the parish church and back; over a half hour, if I remember correctly. And increase the distance walked gradually. 

But today I face my first hurdle. It all sounds very nice, but the morning is the only time of the day I have free. Already, I'm thinking of going on errands tomorrow. Even if it's only twenty minutes, I can only fit in the walking if I get up earlier. If there's one thing more enjoyable in my house than a director's chair, it's my bed in the early morning. 

Mother Nature, your brainwashing tricks better be strong. 

Los Zapatos, Zapatillas De Deporte

Comments

  1. I find since Sherlock walking has become mandatory, but the many sniff stops may not represent good exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.