Till the Fortieth of May

This is getting ridiculous. Okay, so back in December we were praying for rain. That was then, this is now. Now we should be basking in the warm sun, marveling at temperatures rising into the 80'sF/30'sC. I've had to light the fire this week, just to warm up the house and dry some clothes. The saying this year, Non te quites o saio ata o corenta de maio, (don't take off your long johns until the fortieth of May) is sounding like very good advice.

Normally, in early June, I am looking forward to the summer. I'm getting an itchy foot, and wishing I could get in the car and just travel till I hit the Mediterranean or further. I'm wearing shorts and tank tops, and waiting for classes to end and go to the beach on a warm afternoon. I should be watching the sunset sitting on the stoop, late into the night, drinking in the fragrances of green things that have sat all day in the sun. 

Instead, we've regressed to April. It may not be quite as cold, but it is far from the temperatures we should be having. One day there's a continuous, cold, clammy rain that makes moving outside an odyssey, another day it's cloudy and dull grey. Yesterday morning I went to Noia and wandered through the market stalls. Up umbrella, down umbrella, move umbrella to one side, move umbrella to another side. Put umbrella in umbrella stand, remember umbrella in umbrella stand. Avoid crushes of people to avoid drops of cold water down my neck. 

The evening before was a joyous moment in which the sun came out and the temperatures responded. It was almost warmer outside than inside, and the sun shining with a smile into my study gladdened me and reminded me of what June should be like. And then came yesterday and the drip drip drip of the incessant water. 

We did have some nice days in May, yet they were scattered, and now seem like sniffs of broken promises. My summer flats look forlorn, lost and lonely, unused. My shorts are awaiting me, their comfortableness of slipping on and slipping off still a dream in the mornings and nights. Still, I must continue with jeans and cardigans, socks and sneakers. Next week there seems to be a respite, with some nice weather, but it will last only a couple of days before the rains are destined to return. Summer, come out of hiding, please!


Rain Umbrella Drip Wet Weather Screen Autu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.