Mom's Moving Service

This is my vacation week before my summer classes begin. After this, I'll be busy until September, my unpaid vacation month. Yesterday, I went to Pontevedra to wander around on my own for about an hour, after doing my morning walk a bit late. (Hi, Colin, it was nice to meet you!) In the afternoon, after a fast sandwich, I was off to Santiago to bring down some of my daughter's stuff.

After seven years of being a student in Santiago, she's finally presenting her requisite thesis at the beginning of next month, and ending formal schooling. Despite joining in the graduation ceremony last year, she left the thesis for this year to be able to concentrate better on it. Now, it's at an end, and the contract on the rented student apartment also comes to an end on the last day of this month. So, packing is in order.

It's a good thing my daughter is a frugal girl and doesn't buy left and right. Even so, the amount of tat gathered over seven years is frightening. There's about three wardrobes of clothes, books and papers that have multiplied by 20 (books, books, BOOKS!), posters to cover every available (and unavailable) space on the walls, and even stuff she has inherited. She is now the proud owner of: another blanket, cushions galore, two juicers, various empty bottles of tequila (I don't want to know), a TDT decoder, and a big, box-like television set. And, unless one of her roommates requisitions it, a large American Tourister suitcase that's been awaiting its legitimate owner in the hallway since last year. And I'm not even touching on the kitchen stuff and the bathroom towels.

That's without the tent and sleeping bag she bought, and at least three things she acquired in the same manner as most students. Every now and then, groups of young people can be seen carrying furniture; sofas, tables, even mattresses. They're not helping a friend move. They're collecting pieces from the bulk trash. When the Philosophy Department decided to get rid of some things in storage, such as old sofas, desks, chairs, and even a typewriter, everything was brought to the front lobby. The concierge called the municipal bulk trash service. But when they came, there was nothing to haul away. The students had taken everything. My daughter took the typewriter and its stand. Another day, she collected a folding beach chair from the street. That is also coming home. 

A pack rat would have a tough time competing with university students in the acquiring of bright, shiny things. Everything that is free is bright and shiny to a student. Especially books. Every once in a while, the Department sets out books and booklets in its library for students to take. They're generally books that have been in the library a long time, and that few have ever decided to refer to. My daughter has collected a few that way. They also have to be carted home.

Yesterday I brought home two boxes with books and papers, I don't know how many plastic supermarket bags with papers, four large box folders with papers, a small box of sundry items, a bag of Christmas decorations, my old manual typewriter, and an old CD/tape radio. On Sunday, we brought a blanket, a raincoat, a jacket, and the acquired typewriter and its stand. Tomorrow, I'm taking the day off, but today I need to return to lug home some more. Mom's Moving Service will be in full force until Sunday.


Flea Market, Junk, Old, Were Used, Stock

Comments

  1. Very nice to finally meet you, too, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My elder daughter's old bedroom - she's been in Madrid for 12 years - is still crammed with her stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.