Chronicle of the Virus Day 2

It's the second day of general confinement. 

It's confinement as opposed to quarantine. You can still go out, though only to specific places. But not to the hair dresser's today. Last night they took them off the list of open establishments. Apparently, they had first been allowed to open to attend to movement-impaired customers who might not be able to wash their hair on their own. Today, the customer has to arrange for their hair dresser to make a house call in that case. 

That means that though there are fewer cars for a Monday, there are still cars. I don't know just how strict they are here; I haven't ventured out. But in Madrid, from reports, there were moments of overcrowding on the subway. Quite the opposite of what had been intended. I'm sure they'll figure out something. 

Hopefully, if they close down more places of business, the authorities will do like in Italy and oblige companies and banks to stop bills and mortgage payments until things are up and running again. People shouldn't have to worry about getting sick and paying the bills. And it does seem like this state of alarm is going to be drawn out longer than two weeks. I just hope people don't go insane if they happen to live in small apartments and look at the same people for a month or more. 

Infection rates are going up. There are just over nine thousand cases as of four o'clock today, and three hundred deaths. Most of these I believe are in the region of Madrid, but Galicia has around two hundred thirty cases with three deaths. At the rate the infection is going, we're going to be hunkering down far into April, and further measures are probably going to be taken. 

That means we are all headed for a recession that will bite very deep. Small stores that have been ordered closed might never open again. Large companies that are the motor of their regions are closing, some because of infection, others because workers refuse to run risks. I am also worried by our own possible situation if the scenario worsens. The government has the obligation to help its citizens, but there are many of us out there that will need help. 

I am still at the point where I don't mind being home. Unlike city and town dwellers, we have a large garden and field. We are surrounded by woods, and at any given moment I might go for a solitary walk. Today I caught myself thinking about places I've been and realizing I won't be able to revisit for a long while. Before this happened, I had been thinking about where to go during Holy Week, whether down to Portugal again, or perhaps into Asturias. Now, I don't know if I might even get to go anywhere at the end of June. 

There are good moments in the cities, though. In one urbanization, neighbors played bingo from the windows and balconies. I don't know what the prize was or how it was collected. In another, a gym class was carried out. Then there was the person who led a birthday party for himself, supplying the music. And neighbors in Valencia, who had their Fallas festival postponed, went for their own mascletá, banging pots instead of setting off fireworks. Then there are those who called out jokes to each other.

City dwellers do have other moments to look forward to. My brother-in-law, who lives in Mallorca, sent a picture of a flyer they received. It has a list of activities to practice from balconies and windows every evening, like the applause given the past couple of nights in honor of healthcare workers and those who man the supermarkets. For today, neighbors are called upon to appear with their cell phone flashlights in honor of the victims. Tomorrow, they should appear wearing pijamas and singing Sobreviviré by Monica Naranjo. Wednesday, the call is to sing Happy Birthday to all those who have birthdays this month and have to pass them alone. And Thursday, everyone should sing Resistiré, an old song by Dúo Dinámico. I assume further ideas will be shared when the masterminds come up with them.

Life continues.


When I lose all games Cuando pierda todas las partidas

When I sleep with loneliness Cuando duerma con la soledad

When the exits are closed to me Cuando se me cierren las salidas

And the night won't leave me aloneY la noche no me deje en paz
 
When I'm afraid of silence Cuando sienta miedo del silencio

When it's hard to keep me on my feet Cuando cueste mantenerme en pie

When the memories rebel Cuando se rebelen los recuerdos

And put me up against the wallY me pongan contra la pared
 
I will resist, standing facing everything Resistiré, erguido frente a todo

I will turn to iron to harden my skin Me volveré de hierro para endurecer la piel

And although the winds of life blow strong Y aunque los vientos de la vida soplen fuerte

I am like the reed that bends, Soy como el junco que se dobla,

But still keeps standingPero siempre sigue en pie
 
I will resist, to continue living Resistiré, para seguir viviendo

I will take the blows and I will never give up Soportaré los golpes y jamás me rendiré

And even if my dreams are broken into pieces Y aunque los sueños se me rompan en pedazos

I will resist, I will resistResistiré, resistiré
 
When the world loses all magic Cuando el mundo pierda toda magia

When my enemy is me Cuando mi enemigo sea yo

When nostalgia stabs me Cuando me apuñale la nostalgia

And I don't even recognize my voiceY no reconozca ni mi voz
 
When madness threatens me Cuando me amenace la locura

When my coin comes out tails Cuando en mi moneda salga cruz

When the devil passes the bill Cuando el diablo pase la factura

If I ever lose youSi alguna vez me faltas tu
 
I will resist, standing facing everything Resistiré, erguido frente a todo

I will turn to iron to harden my skin Me volveré de hierro para endurecer la piel

And although the winds of life blow strong Y aunque los vientos de la vida soplen fuerte

I am like the reed that bends, Soy como el junco que se dobla,

But still keeps standingPero siempre sigue en pie
 
I will resist, to continue living Resistiré, para seguir viviendo

I will take the blows and I will never give up Soportaré los golpes y jamás me rendiré

And even if my dreams are broken into pieces Y aunque los sueños se me rompan en pedazos

I will resist, I will resistResistiré, resistiré
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.