Chronicles of the Virus Day 13

This morning I finally finished off the pancakes, with a sliced banana on top. I prefer them with strawberries but I finished those yesterday. And I finished the bananas today. That leaves a kilo of mandarine oranges, which I will have to pour some chocolate syrup on, just in case they're not very sweet.

If it were just me, there would be fruit aplenty still in the fruit bowl. But, instead of a sweet tooth, my husband has a fruit tooth. I had to hide that last banana for this morning's breakfast. His problem is that when he's home and not doing anything, he's eating. Sunflower seeds, peanuts, fruit, fuet sausage, everything goes. It's a good thing he's not sitting around all day. Even so, he's gained a few kilos in these last years. If he's finally sent home, it's a godsend there's plenty of work around the house he has his eyes on.  

I finally have a class today, and from next week onwards, on Mondays. One of my students' mothers called about setting up the weekly class via video call. I acquiesced. The question will be how to conduct a class without the exchange of paper or books. I am not as technologically savvy as most teachers nowadays, so it will be a bit of a challenge. Perhaps this student might help me learn something, too. She is almost twelve, after all, and probably knows more than me about technology, though not about English.

Yesterday, I transferred all the music on my phone to the computer. If I had speakers for the phone, I wouldn't have needed to do that, but, again, I never before felt the need to buy them. So, I improvised by downloading to the computer, and blasting those songs from the computer's speakers. The window was open, and I'm sure the neighbors must have been flipping out at the eclectic collection. The songs went from eighties pop to Spanish pop to Elvis to American folk to opera to contemporary pop to rock music. All the time, my cat, Macarena, was sleeping on the desk right in front of the speakers. I wish I could sleep like her!

On the online front, I'm not the only neophyte in technology. A priest in Italy wanted to stream a Mass on Facebook. So, he got everything together and turned on the camera. Only he forgot to deactivate the filters. On his head, in succession, appeared different headwear, from gansta hats and sunglasses, to fighter pilot helmet, to headband and two hands lifting weights. I wonder what went through the minds of his elder parishioners. 

In the have-we-lost-the-few-brains-we-had department, a young "influencer" from California went through with one of those viral challenges designed to carry out Darwin's theory. He licked the toilet in a public bathroom. Normally, the thought of simply sitting on a public toilet is not one of the high points of a normal person's day. Yes, he tested positive for Covid-19. I'm surprised he didn't also test positive for typhus, cholera, and the bubonic plague.

In addition to those who have a Holy Week procession from one side of the street to the other, a block of neighbors in Plasencia are doing a running of the bulls à la San Fermín. In an inside patio, from the upper stories to the lower stories, neighbors run past the windows waving bells, until the first floor neighbors run out into the patio, as if they were the bulls running into the arena. No bulls were harmed in the making. 

At this rate, even San Fermín might be cancelled this year.

Life continues.

 

Comments

  1. Totally relate with having to hide food. 🥴 Keep on being safe, Maria with your man. The news is depressing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You stay safe, as well!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Opps - I was somehow branded "France Fan! weird. Well, maybe not I wasn't signed in. So what I wrote was "We're trying our best!'' Thanks, Maria. 3>

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.