Tsuami, 24. Toward Spring.

Today is warm and spring-like. But clouds are coming back in, and there is rain off-shore. Another day tomorrow of rain and grey, and then, on Friday, a dry period should begin. If we're lucky, it'll last at least a week.

Of rain, we are right now full. At the merest provocation, our well now overflows into the yard. On my walks in the woods recently, I have had to navigate paths that have transformed to either swiftly flowing rivers, or ponds of unfathomable abyss. Just around the curve behind our house, a woodland plot that has young trees planted years ago, that don't grow, becomes Loch Ness at the first shower. The drainage is into our yard, which is now a quagmire until early summer. Whenever I drive or walk by, I fully expect a creature to raise its head from the depths. 

Some trees are beginning to show buds. A thin veil of apple green will soon envelope the hills. I'm glad, because the greys and browns of late winter are monotonous and dreary. Pretty soon, my favorite time of year will be here, from late spring to early summer. Just before then, the trees will be about twenty different shades of green, and flowers will be everywhere. And I can wear lighter clothes, without feeling as if I'm weighted down by cloth. 

Another good thing will be that my feet won't get as cold. It doesn't matter what footwear I have on, or whether or not I have thick socks on my feet; my feet are always cold in winter. These days that I am sitting still in my study just about all afternoon, when I finish and walk away, they are two blocks of ice. Even if I have the electric radiator on right next to me, they're cold. 

Longer days are also something to look forward to. Having the sun rise earlier in the morning helps me to get up. Having it set at a later hour means I can do more things before shutting myself up for the night. Some years I wish I could oscillate between Lapland in summer, and Tierra del Fuego in winter. That way, I would catch as much light as possible throughout the year.

With the vaccinations proceeding, hopefully that means that there won't be gigantic waves of contagion again like this one that is beginning to ebb. Which also means that future restrictions might not be as tight as they were these past months. Hopefully. Though, human contrariness is what it is, and there are too many who don't want the shot. Then there are those who may not even be contacted, like illegal immigrants. To be called to receive the vaccine, you must be on the census of the township where you live. Or of any township. There will be areas where most of the (undeclared) population will not be vaccinated, so the risk of transmission will still be high. Hopefully, a plan will be designed to vaccinate them, too, in the interests of public health. 

Maybe this Holy Week I can go somewhere on one of my day trips. Perhaps not to Portugal or Asturias, or even León, but somewhere nice within Galicia. There are lots of places to visit that aren't swamped by people. I miss my trips. 

Life continues. 

 Oak, Tree, Deciduous Tree, Leaves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.