Tsunami, 6. Beam Me Up, Scotty!

I want to smash two plates, five glasses, and a window. I want to howl in anger and frustration.

My internet odyssey isn't over yet. 

The technicians from Movistar came this morning. After calling yesterday to make an appointment for nine o'clock this morning, they came at nine thirty. They came, said they would check along the line to find a hook-up box, and would then proceed to install the fiber.

One went down the road, and the other went up the road. After a while, they both came back, shaking their heads. There is no hook-up. 

Almost three years, three years ago, they installed the fiber cable. Since then, there has been no follow-up to install the box. Nothing, zilch, nada. Movistar probably installed the cable because of pressure from the regional government to extend the network of fiber to rural areas. But they stopped at that. The rubes don't really need internet, after all. Milking cows and feeding the pigs doesn't require a computer.

So now, I have to wait. The technicians said they would send a note to the central office, who would then send someone out to find the best place to install the box, and then they would come back, to install my connection. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll have fiber by this summer. Maybe.

In the meantime, internet is becoming a requisite for just about everything. Until we are allowed to get together again, I give classes by internet. I have to make appointments at government offices, doctor's offices, etc., by internet, because no one picks up the phone anymore on the first call. Forms have to be filled out on internet. Everything is moving online. But not everyone lives with a connection. Many people out in the rural areas only have connection by satellite or wifi. And it's a bad connection, which tends to disappear in stormy weather, like what happened to me last week, or just because the system gets tired of transmitting data. 

So, with another week ahead of me with video calls, I'm waiting for the moment when they will become impossible because I will have used up all my monthly data plan of 40 gigas on the wifi. Life in twenty-first century rural Spain. There are days I absolutely hate this place.

Life continues. Angrily.

 



Comments

  1. Maria. Get ibertic. It works great in the countryside and it's about 29 including iva for unlimited business internet. They install it free after ensuring it will work where you are and when I got it the first month was free too. Every person I recommended that signed up resulted in another month free. Haven't paid much yet. Movie star fibre was installed up the main road near me to the touristy town on the mountain top a few years ago too. I was told they COULD NOT INSTALL A BOX to connect to us folks along the way. Excuse given you can't pierce the cable.

    Let me know if it exists there
    Stephanie from El Maestrat, Castellón

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion. I wrote to them, but they replied that they only work in Castellón. It's a shame; they would have had plenty of business in Galicia.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.