Stumbling on the Same Rock

It's not enough that with the general elections set for the twentieth of December we have to listen to the mad ravings of politicians. It's not enough that after doing everything they legally could to hamper people from voting by setting elections on a day so close to Christmas and trips home, the governing party is now spewing promises that everyone knows are cheaper than Christmas glitter. It's not enough that the other leaders are pushing each other in the public eye like kindergartners, each claiming they are the best and the only salvation of the country. No, that circus isn't enough. I also have to receive a telephone call from my bank, urging me to buy a special insurance.

I hate being told what to do, or someone coming up and offering something when I had no intention of asking for anything. Whenever I'm in a store I try to avoid the clerk that comes up and asks if they can help me. If I need help, I'll go ask for it. Until then, don't bother me, let me decide on my own. My first instinct with phone solicitations is to hang up. But politeness will not let me do so. Besides, the lady identified herself as calling from my bank. That's enough to keep me on the line. But then she went on with a spiel about a special insurance that would give me sugared plums if ever I were to be diagnosed with cancer or two other serious illnesses. I tried to interrupt, pointing out that if she was calling from my bank, she had my data and could see the exiguous state of my bank account. To no avail. She went on to explain that if I signed up now I had free coverage until February, when I would begin to pay only sixteen euros and some cents a month. And that my circumstances could change from now until then. Yeah, for the worse, I thought. I almost had to violently explain that I would not sign up for it, either now or in February, so it was no use sending me any paper work. She finally got the message and I could hang up.

It seems that banks in Spain have not learned their lesson. After having almost gone bankrupt from offering loans and mortgages to everything that could leave a signature mark, regardless of income, they're still at it. And after their executives milked the banks dry, stiffed many customers with fraudulent stocks in exchange for people's life savings, and drained the state's coffers with multi-billion euro loans to stay afloat, they still expect the general public to accept offers of special insurances and other treats. That we have to pay for. And if we fall behind in payments, they will simply close our accounts and take all we have.

And the problem is, there are people dumb enough to fall for it. 

Image result for phone solicitation from banks
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.