June Days

They're here. The longest days of the year, the days I've been awaiting since dark, despairing December, have arrived. Though we have not had a run of completely nice days without any rain, we have had a couple with summery temperatures and cloudless skies. Days that are the tantalizing taste of the wine of summer. Days that intoxicate you and make you believe the best is yet to come. 

In the morning, by six o'clock the night has disappeared, and the sky gets ready to greet the sun. The birds wake up, and so do my cats, who come to see why I'm still in bed. By the time I get up, the morning chill has started to disappear and the sun is surprisingly warm when I step outside. Sometimes the smell of cut grass greets me when a neighbor has been clearing a field. 

In the afternoon the day lingers long, the sun refusing to go to rest. Because we are so far west, yet follow Central European Time, evenings are forever. At eleven thirty we can still see lighter blue in the sky where the sun said goodnight. It's difficult to go to bed these days, yet my body says I need more sleep. 

The corn is beginning to poke up through the earth, and the pepper plants recently put in have tiny peppers growing already. The buds of the grape arbors are turning into little green spheres that will slowly grow and turn color as the days go by. Everything is green, and the different greens of spring that ranged from copper to lime green have now grown into summer greens, strong and fierce in the sunlight.

The coming summer also means our daughter will be home. While I like my solitude on weekday mornings, it is still sweet to have her company. She is no longer the child whose future I used to wonder about. She is now a young lady in college who will soon be living her own life. 

There is a song by Billy Joel that sums it up quite well.

This is the time to remember,

Cause it will not last forever.

These are the days to hold onto,

Cause we won't although we'll want to.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.