The Dystopian Times, 21. I Avoid Crowds, Some Avoid Facts

Today is a down day. Despite the gorgeous sunshine and the warm temperatures, it's a day to say goodbye to when the sun goes down, and to let it slide into the oblivion of forgetfulness.

First, on Facebook someone mentioned that those who didn't want to wear masks were not thinking of their friends and loved ones. Someone responded saying that there was no pandemic, that it was all a hoax to get people to "follow the leader." Dear God. Someone else commented various points, saying that the CDC had changed their findings, saying only 6% had died of Covid (it's 6% who died without comorbidities), that asymptomatic people didn't infect others, that hospitals weren't overwhelmed, and that masks weren't necessary, because some doctors even operated on people without them. Also, that masks were harmful, and included a picture from somewhere with people who had rashes around their mouths. Finally, the reason for the pandemic "hoax" was to be found if I followed the money, and someone named "Amazing Polly" had videos on YouTube explaining everything

I just couldn't. I commented back, explaining the different points. Not that a person with that mindset would understand just where they went wrong in their thinking. "Amazing Polly?" Honestly? I hate that people believe videos on YouTube as if they were the Bible. Anyone can put up a video, splicing together various different segments, and make it look as slick as 60 Minutes. But it won't necessarily have any contrasted facts in it. With people who think like this, it's no wonder the virus is spreading fast.

The other thing that happened was my wanderlust. I had the car this afternoon, and I started thinking about where I could go. I wouldn't have minded a walk through the streets of Pontevedra or Vigo. Or an expeditionary trip down to Tui, again. But the times are no longer the same as they were at the end of June. I wanted to avoid people as much as possible. I will go to one of those cities, at least, this month, but it's more difficult to give in to the pleasure of the moment having to avoid people, and pulling up the mask if that's not possible. 

So, I decided to go to a new local landmark, a lookout point at the Monte Muralla. I figured that, it being September, and the tourists that had come this year mostly gone, there wouldn't be many people. So, my daughter and I went, driving along the back roads, higher and higher, until we arrived at the base of the dirt road leading up the last bit. And found there were quite a few cars parked there. As I dithered, some more arrived; one or two went directly up the dirt road. 

If I didn't want to wander the center of a city to avoid pulling up my mask, much less did I want to mask up on the open hilltop. I drove back home. I think I'm going to spend most of this vacation month at home. 

Damned pandemic.

Life continues.

Large, City, Crowd, Walking, Down


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.