Falling Back, 33. Party Like it's 1999.

This morning was cold as I went in to town to the local clinic to take my mother-in-law for blood work. The hour hasn't yet changed back to standard time; it will change by next week or the week after, probably. So, the morning was dark and cold when we set out. But when we left the clinic, though it didn't take very long, the sun had just risen, and I didn't bother to put on my denim jacket, though the temperature was hovering around 46ºF/6ºC.

Later in the morning, I went to Santiago to look for our daughter's birthday present. It is difficult to buy presents now. Once, any bauble I thought the recipient would like was fine. Now, I want to buy something the person needs or adores. It's difficult because, generally, needs are always met, and the adoration tends to be of things beyond one's means. I did find something, though, and it's now hidden away.

Santiago is in the red zone, according to the regional government. I think there are well over a hundred new cases of Covid in the past week. But the government doesn't publish the exact numbers, "to avoid excessive worrying." Being in the red, orange, yellow, or green zone depends on how many new cases within the last seven days, according to total population. But we don't know if the numbers rise by day vertiginously, or at a slower rate, or decline slightly, or anything. While Galicia is one of two regions (the other is Cantabria) where the second wave is not getting out of hand, people do want to know what they are living with.

That would also help university students understand what very well might happen when they host the usual flat parties. It is normal for many students to invite friends over and spend the night drinking, playing music, and doing what many students do - create noise and have a good time. But Miss Corona loves those parties, too. In Santiago, police do the rounds nightly and break up parties. There have been so many, that the regional government has decreed that partiers will be fined, because this is not 1999, Prince notwithstanding. The first time the police knock on the door, the fine will be according to the hour. Up until midnight, 200 euros each; between midnight and 3 AM, 500 euros; beyond that, 750 euros. Those who decide to party weekly, and get busted weekly, 1500 euros, no matter what the hour. So, hosting a party at three in the afternoon won't do, even if one were to claim it's a mere tea gathering.

I just hope this little patch of village and town remain mostly healthy. I've already got an appointment for my flu shot. I just have to convince my husband to get one, too. I have my air purifier going full speed every afternoon, and I rotate masks, which are easier to tolerate in cooler weather (that must be one of the only good things about going into winter). My only problem is that, since my glasses fog continuously, I take them off. My myopia will probably get worse with that, but at least I don't have far to look within my study, so I don't force my eyesight too much. 

Life continues.

  Beer, Alcohol, Party, Bottle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.