Chronicles from the Virus Day 54. Time.

We are into the month of May, one of the prettiest, most gracious months of the year. It's warmer, the days are longer, everything has flowered or is flowering, the trees are kelly green. But I'm not in May.

My head is still somewhere in April. It still seems like yesterday we went to the Women's Day march with our daughter in Santiago. It still seems like a strange Easter was last week, and that vacation still hasn't ended. It still seems like summer is such a long time away from now.

This week my routine has changed a little bit. Now, I go walking every morning that it doesn't rain. That means I didn't go on Tuesday. I come home, shower, and do something. Depending on the day, I might have some video classes. My busiest is Wednesday, with one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Compare that with my usual five hours in the afternoon previous to this quarantine. 

Then, I make lunch, laze about, do something more in the afternoon. Or, force myself to get up and do things. Then it's evening, my husband is home, we eat supper, watch a little television, and go to bed. And the days pass, one after the other, with so little to distinguish them, I have lost track of time. What has been two months are compressed in my head into two or three weeks. 

So, I'm not doing much of what I had though I would have time to do. I did clean the kitchen walls, but now they need cleaning again. I did do some drawing with my pastel pencils, but just one. I did write a little on my book, but not much more than a page. I seem to be sustained in a web of time, which stretches out around me without an end. 

I work better with a deadline. If I see that I only have a half hour to do something, I will get up and do it. I will sit and write after lunch until my first class appears, and wish they would stay home so I could keep writing. But if I know that my classes aren't coming, the afternoon stretches before me empty and placid, and I feel no compulsion to do anything. This is what I hate most about this quarantine. I already stayed home a lot, but the only free time I had was the mornings. Now, it doesn't matter if it's a week day or the weekend, every day is the same. 

Spain isn't the only country where bored people are trying to make the time pass a little more interestingly. This video is from France, where a balcony becomes a setting for a musical video. Not exactly star material, but the neighbors will take it. 

Quarantine can definitely get very boring. Tell it to this kid. I don't think his mom will appreciate his method of alleviating boredom, though. Not when he drips into the house.

Life continues. Slowly.

  

Comments

  1. Hee hee, the kid with quarantine boredom made me smile. It is really tough to get motivated when there is nothing to break up the routine. I'm really glad you are sharing the experience of quarantine with your blog, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At least in writing the blog I make time pass a little bit more quickly! And I like to read yours. Life in the south of France sounds beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Merci too! I just can't concentrate on the kids book I'm writing but at least if I do the blog I practice at writing. I think Spain is gorgeous too. I look forward to when we can visit it again. We only live 20 km from the border, but I expect it's going to stay closed for a while to come, sadly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.