The Come-Back, Day 3. The Errands Begin.

Now, it seems that there are errands to run every day. Yesterday, I had to go to a different hardware store in the next township to buy some things for my husband to replace others that had broken this past week. 

Boiro was not bustling. It was supposed to be market day, but, though now open-air markets are allowed, the town decided to wait another week or two. Everything was quiet. Many stores decided not to open, including some cafés that normally had every table occupied on a Tuesday. Those few that did open, had rules on the door. Masks obligatory. Gloves obligatory. Use hand sanitizer upon entering.

I had little trouble parking. Normally, I have to go around the central blocks two or even three times before giving up and going into the underground parking garage of the very central supermarket. Yesterday I parked on a nearby street and walked. People were out walking their dogs, or their children. There were extremely few shoppers. Perhaps some of the shops already had summer hours; it was just before five that I went. But I don't think many find it profitable to open just yet.

The hardware store was open, and I waited my turn. Normally, you can walk around the aisles to find what you're looking for, but yesterday there was a sign at the counter saying to wait until someone helped us. There was also a plastic barrier erected between the cashier and the customers. I had no problem finding what I was looking for, paid for it and went back to my car. I then set off for Santiago to pick up our daughter. She is now home, though trying to maintain her distance, just in case.

Today, I had to go to the bank to do some bureaucratic stuff. Until now, I've been using the ATM without any problems, but today's conundrum involved talking to an actual person. I drove into town and waited my turn near the door. Only one person is allowed inside at a time. There was a notice on the door, and I went to read it. There was a long list of things the bank employees would not do during this pandemic, and they included what I wanted to do. But I had no idea how to do it online or on the ATM, so I continued to wait. 

When it was my turn, I went in. Immediately, I was transported back to our bank at Roslindale Square, in Boston. There was plexiglass separating the customer from the bank teller, with a small aperture to pass papers, apart from the line on the floor denoting the safe distance. Until now, the only thing separating tellers from the customers was the counter, unlike the bulletproof glass I remember going up in Boston's banks back in the eighties. 

I stated what I wanted to do, and, contrary to what was on the notice, the teller displayed no dismay, simply nodded and asked for the papers needed. I assume the list was put up at the beginning of the quarantine, and now that things are being relaxed, bank employees act more at their own discretion, rather than following a concrete set of rules.

I finished quickly and stepped outside, to let the next person in. Not everyone was wearing a mask, nor gloves. I wore a mask yesterday to go to the next township and to Santiago, but here, I'm not as worried. I used hand sanitizer as soon as I got into the car, and wore gloves to the supermarket. As soon as I walked in my front door, I washed my hands thoroughly. 

The brain gets bored when there's no variation to a routine, such as during a quarantine. That's what must have happened to this mother when she went to take out the trash. It's a good thing she realized what happened before too much time had passed. 

This picture is also to discover how bored our brains really are. There's a duck, a bat, and a butterfly hidden in this picture. It's not easy. If you know anything about art, it might help. Also, as a bonus, there's a carrot, though it wasn't mentioned in the initial post.  

Life continues.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.