The Adjusted Normal, 2. Elections in Pandemic Time.

In April there were supposed to have been regional elections in Galicia and Euskadi. Thanks to the devil virus, they were postponed. I keep forgetting about them, since the parties aren't really campaigning except for their perpetual claims that each one is the only one to do right by the public. But, yes, elections are now on for July 12th.

July is not a good month for voter turnout. Normally, people prefer to spend a lazy Sunday in July on picnics, at the beach, or just lazing by the pool or on the balcony, instead of getting dressed and going to the polls. Yes, getting dressed, because it's much like a Sunday walk, in which you go to see and be seen. The last time there were elections of any kind in Spain in July was back in 1839, apparently. Even then, summer was bad for the polls.

This year, thanks to social distancing, there are no big rallies planned. Nor are the campaign pushers going to distribute pamphlets, not even pens, candy, or lighters. One year, campaigners for the PP came to my door and offered me a bunch of pens and candy, all in white with the PP logo in blue (I resent the PP for using my favorite color). I politely rejected them, saying I wasn't going to vote for their candidate, so they could give those things to someone who would, instead of wasting them on me. Or, I spoke words to that effect, since I've forgotten the actual conversation. Apparently, word spread I was antagonistic to the PP. Fine. If anyone knew me, they would have already known my voting non-preference.

Campaign managers are looking to using new technology to advance their messages. Probably by buying commercials on YouTube videos, or stuff like that. They already have commercial air time in every election. Commercials that tend to run at specific times, one after the other, for ten to fifteen minutes. Or it feels that way. I suppose they will also send out the pamphlets by mail, like they always do. Generally, since elections are in colder months, they have always made it easier to light the fire in the woodstove. Now, I suppose I'll have to use them to light the barbecue outside. 

Why am I cynical? Because in the regional elections, the PP always garners the most votes. Either it's because the older voters, of which there are plenty in Galicia, go with the "safe" party, or because things have gotten so rigged, there's no crack through which to break the hold the PP has. I assume that some elders vote for them because they offer the same they have always known, since Franco's time, when it was dangerous to ask for something different. They assume there's nothing to do about it without shedding more blood, and that's the last thing they want. Many of the younger voters of the PP tend to be in the upper echelons of income, or own businesses and fear the left, which is generally known to be more on the side of the salaried than their bosses. Or, that's what has traditionally been the case. And those who aren't, are like blue-collar Americans who vote for Trump. They believe empty promises and always blame the "other". 

How will I inform myself? I will read their intentions online, trying to read between the lines. I will try to find what each party has supported and gone against. I will not take promises at face value. And I will weigh which has a chance of actually doing something good. As a last resort, if I find nothing of value, I will place a protest vote with a small, leftist party of some kind, to tell the majors, "You're not offering anything I like." But I will never, ever, abstain from voting. Women before me fought and suffered for the right to vote, and I shall honor their fight by voting. 

So, when elections roll around, go vote. Sometimes, elections are won by a handful of people who decided to leave the couch at the last minute.

Life continues.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.