The Come-Back, Day 28. This Girl Went to the Market.

This morning my brother-in-law came by, asked me on a whim to come with him to Noia, and I said, fine. I had things to do, and going to Noia on market day had not been in my plans for months (if not for over a year), but I decided to do so, after my husband said he would start lunch himself. 

I haven't been to Noia in a very long time. Some stores had changed as if from night to day, others were as if I had been there yesterday. There were plenty of people out and about, though not as many as on a regular Sunday. Most of them wore masks, though not all. I wore mine around my neck unless someone got too close, when I would pull it up.

The market stalls tend to be set up down one street on the near side of the river, and on streets surrounding the marketplace on the other side, in the old section of town. Normally, it's very crowded, more crowded on the Sunday than on the Thursday, which is also market day in Noia. 

Very few stalls were set up. In fact, they were only food and plants. No clothes were on sale, nor anything else that had nothing to do with planting or eating. Even those were fewer than normal. There were a few stalls on this side of the river, and on the other side, only a few along a street behind the marketplace. 

Inside the marketplace most stalls had their wares out, but again, only fruits, vegetables,
fish, meat, and bakery products. There was hand sanitizer, plastic gloves, and signs telling people to respect distances, avoid crowds, that only one person should do the shopping, that no one should remain longer than necessary in the building, and that this is a place to shop, not to wander around. The sign beneath played with words and situations; "preservativos para manos" (condoms for hands). 

Outside, in the center of the old town, the streets were busy, but not overly so. I could keep my mask down for considerable moments. I did duck into a store to check out t-shirts (I bought two to replace old, stained ones I'd had to throw out), but I was in only for a short period of time. At some stores, there was a line outside, respectfully waiting their turn, such as at the tobacconists. We later sat at a table outside a café, and all the terraces we passed were not crowded, at all. It was a pleasurable market day.

If most places were like Noia, I think we might beat this. But, human nature is human nature, and when restrictions end toward the last half of the month, it will probably be business as usual, except for the stores that will be forced to close. 

When we came home, I discovered that my husband had indeed started lunch, but made only one part because my mother-in-law had sent him an enormous tortilla. The calamari will wait for supper tonight.

Life continues.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.