The Dystopian Times, 3. Rainy Day Reflections

Summer has abandoned us, and left us to the low pressure systems wandering in off the Atlantic. Yesterday, a holiday, it rained mostly in the morning, with breaks in the afternoon. But today, except for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, it's been raining continuously. 

And it's going to rain for most of next week. The Azores high pressure has moved, and is now letting in all the low pressure systems. So far, I can't complain much about the summer. Except for the month of June, which was mostly grey, July and the first half of August have been beautiful. There were some hot days, but along our stretch of coast, the sea breeze held off the asphyxiating heat felt inland. This is the first stretch of rain we've had since June. I just hope any storm system we have doesn't get too strong.

This year, the hurricane season is supposed to be quite active. As of this month, the hurricanes have reached the letter I, Isaias being the last one so far. At the moment, the hardest hit regions have been the United States and the Caribbean. But the Atlantic ocean off the southwest European coast is warmer than usual, so we may very well see a hurricane form there and head toward us. Rain loves us.

So, today has been a quiet day. It's a day to write, and that's what I've done, mostly. Aside from reading and playing with the cats. I am slowly reaching the end of my manuscript. I just have one section I don't know what to do with. I know exactly how the story is supposed to end. When I finish, I'll have to go back to the beginning and change the opening chapters. The story has taken on a life of its own, and it's no longer continuing the way I had imagined it when I first started writing. If I dedicated some time to it every day I would have finished it by now, but I tend to be a procrastinator, waiting for a day like today to dedicate my afternoon to it.

In other news, the virus is progressing as it does, infecting ever more people. Our daughter is out with a friend, but late nights are now a thing of the past. At least, until infections go back down. I can't help but think that this fall is going to be bad. And that Christmas time might see us locked up, again. Or, with such restrictions as to be virtually locked up. If the hostelry industry is feeling the pinch this summer, retail will feel it when everyone should be out Christmas shopping, and is instead making Jeff Bezos a super trilionaire by shopping on Amazon. 

Not everyone is afraid, however. At least, not of the virus. There was a protest today in Madrid, against the obligatory use of masks. Yes, we seem to have some of those people here, too. The usual, that our rights are being taken away, that there is no pandemic, that masks are bad for our health, that a "new world order" is using us as guinea pigs, etc. A proponent of this line of thought is Miguel Bosé, a famous Spanish singer, whose heyday was in our youth. Back then, he was part of the new Spain, modernism, being more in line with Europe, etc. Now, it seems he has become a conspiracy twat. On his Twitter account, he encouraged everyone to go to the protest, and ended with "Yo soy la resistencia." (I am the resistance.) Okay, and I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Good grief.

Life continues. Best not to resist it.

Trickle, Cloud, Raindrops, Rainy Day

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.