Tsunami, 43. Travel Dreams.

Thinking about Holy Week ahead has got me into thinking about where I want to go. Of course, it is very likely we're going nowhere, because the probability is high they'll lock us in our townships during that week. I understand, but frustration is building within me. The last time I went out and about to a special place was last June, when I went to Puebla de Sanabria, in Zamora. Since then, I really haven't travelled except around here, and to the Costa da Morte in September, with my husband. 

Even if we're not locked into our townships, we will be locked into our region, so I won't be able to leave Galicia. Perhaps I would go down to the farthest point of Ourense, or the easternmost point of Lugo, or just wander about at a whim. If these had been normal times, I would probably go down to Portugal; I haven't been since April of 2019, at least. Or maybe Asturias or I would return to the province of Zamora. Perhaps, I would go down to Ponferrada, and O Bierzo. It would have to be a place with a maximum of around a three hour drive to get there, so I would have some time to discover the place before coming home in the evening.

If I could truly travel, without the restrictions of a pandemic, or an empty wallet, Europe would be too small for me, I think. 

I would begin driving to the south of France, stopping at Biarritz, perhaps Lourdes, and numerous small towns along the way, maybe venturing a couple of times into the Pyrenees. I would visit Antonio Machado's grave in Collioure, and continue along the coast, driving inland to Avignon, and the palace of the popes. Marseilles, Nice, Cannes, would be on the list. Then, the Italian Riviera, and points south, Rome, Naples, all the way to the end of the boot, then onto Sicily, back into Italy and points north along the eastern coast, stopping at Florence, then heading for Venice, and Milan, and other points. The Alps might be next, crossing over into Switzerland, or over the Dolomites into Austria, after passing through disputed Bolzano/Bozen. I don't know. There are so many places to visit and look at, I could spend the rest of my life from now just travelling, and not seeing everything I think might be interesting. 

I don't know why I've always wanted to travel and see for myself things I saw on television or in books. Perhaps it's because of my curiosity. It's frustrating sometimes, thinking about a place I want to visit, and realize that I simply don't have the money. A weekend in Paris would be a dream visit. Instead, I'm lucky if I can spend an entire day out and about. 

I don't understand people who say they don't want to see places. People like my mother, who only traveled to visit her home, or to return to her "temporary" home in Boston to work. She never wanted to visit anyplace, nor see anything that wasn't easily accessible by subway, bus, or foot. She was happiest when home. 

Then there are others that simply won't travel, because where they live is better than anywhere else. And when they do move around, they are always comparing the place they visit with home, to the detriment of where they visit. People whose minds are so closed they don't bother to try to find anything good in a place, other than their creature comforts. These people don't want to understand that the habits and customs they are used to might just be strange to other people, like cold beer, or ice in a drink. When things aren't as they expect, they complain loudly and bitterly, instead of just trying something new and rolling like the locals. 

I do want to try something new, and see life as it is in so many places. Hopefully, the pandemic will end sooner rather than later. And, maybe, perhaps, a little win in the lottery will make it easier to travel?

Life continues.

 Camera, Photographs, Souvenir

Comments

  1. Just posted this to my local friends re North and Central Portugal, as weekend trip prospects . .


    Amarante: Seventeenth-century mansions line the river that flows through Amarante, their colourful wooden balconies extending over the street. The 16th-century church of São Gonçalo holds a particular place in the hearts of the locals, for the saint, buried inside, is considered to have matchmaking skills. Next to the church, the cloisters of the old monastery house the Museum of Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso. One of Portugal’s leading 20th-century artists, he was a native of Amarante and a collection of his cubist works are exhibited there.

    Guimarães: Celebrated as the birthplace of the nation, Guimarães was chosen as the capital of Portugal when Afonso Henriques proclaimed himself king in 1139. Its heavy, grey, granite architecture contrasts with the white-washed Portugal of the south – the narrow, cobbled, streets of the medieval quarter are impressively well preserved. Castles and churches dominate this Unesco-listed town but don’t miss a visit to A Cozinha. In 2019, chef Antonio Loureiro won the town’s first Michelin star with his regional dishes.

    Braga: Hosts some of the country’s most colourful religious festivals, from Semana Santa (Holy Week) to the festival of São João in June, complete with dancing and fireworks

    Viana do Castelo: The Museu do Traje (Cloth and Gold Museum).

    Pinhão: The little town sits on a bend of the magnificent Douro River, surrounded by many quintas (or wineries) whose names are famous in port production. It has an old railway station decorated with dazzling azulejo panels depicting local scenes and folk culture and a short walk will bring you to the new Quinta da Bomfim winery and museum, which gives an excellent introduction to the world of port, including a tasting.

    Aveiro
    The town is often called the Venice of Portugal for its canals and the colourful, gondola-like boats (or moliceiros), which navigate them. These vessels were traditionally used to collect seaweed but now transport the tourists lucky enough to visit the town instead. Aveiro is also famous for bright Art Nouveau facades which line the main canal. Visit the bustling fish market, filled with eels and sea snails that feature in the local cuisine.

    Covilhã: The largest and liveliest settlement in this beautiful mountain range is sometimes referred to as the town of wool and snow, and is known for its fine textiles. Covilhã has a morning market where you can find the region’s rich and creamy sheep’s cheese, still made by hand. The ‘Star Mountains’ – the highest range on mainland Portugal – are also home to the intelligent, loyal, Serra da Estrela sheepdog. This breed has long worked the granite slopes, which are scattered with thatched stone shepherd’s huts. Clear mountain streams, wild flowers and many birds of prey make this a popular walking destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list! I've been to Guimarães, Viana, and Braga. The others sound interesting, and except for one, reachable for a day's outing. I'll check them out when we can easily travel accross the border.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.