Tsunami, 57. Lazy Vacation.

First afternoon of vacation and I don't know what to do, already. Maybe I'll write. Maybe I'll try to remember what it's like to create art. Maybe I'll re-read a book. Maybe I'll go for a ride. Maybe I'll just vegetate. I'm not helped by the fact that rain is creeping up on us from the south, because, of course, there can't be an entire Holy Week without rain of some kind.

The good thing is that it's warm, though not as warm as forecast. Still, it's a short-sleeve and slip-on shoe warmth, even if it doesn't get to shorts weather. And everybody wants to take advantage of it, as we could see yesterday afternoon on a drive we took around here. There were droves of people walking along the seaside and sitting at terraces. People want to think winter is behind us. But it'll return; this is still March.

There were even people on the beach yesterday. Now, it was nice, but 23ºC isn't beach weather for me. And, from the looks of things, the water must have been freezing, since even small kids weren't splashing in it. I don't understand this insistance on sitting in bikinis and bathing suits on the sand in the tepid sunshine if you're not going to take a swim. To me, the beach is for bathing. I suppose, since most people around me have darker skin, that to many that bathing is sunbathing. No, thank you.

I went walking this morning, though for a shorter walk. After a couple of walks of eight and a half, and another of almost ten, my body feels stronger. Good, because I have longer walks planned. I might make one of them tomorrow morning. Today, I was still exhausted from the change in the hour, and I woke up with a headache, so I only walked about an hour.

We will probably make an all-day drive later this week. Maybe to the north coast, or the mountains in the east. I will probably take a day all to myself, as well, only I don't know yet where I might go. Portugal is out, so is Asturias and Castilla-León. I don't know when I might take that day, either. Perhaps Monday, which is still free for me.

Contagion seems to be level here in Galicia. Other areas are not so great. Madrid, Euskadi, and the African Ceuta and Melilla are pretty bad. Valencia alone is doing very well. I suppose as long as people aren't allowed to travel from one region to another, contagion will take longer to rise. Of course, with all the drunk party goers who fly to Madrid from other European cities, things are not going well in the capital. My township has just one person with Covid. It's been oscillating between a couple and none for the last couple of weeks. 

Yesterday and Saturday were nice days, which made wearing a mask outside once more a heavy annoyance. While I was alone in the streets, I dropped mine around my neck, raising it whenever people came near. It's going to be another long summer.

In Gibraltar, so many people have been vaccinated, that masks are no longer required in the open air, only when entering a business. We might reach that point sometime in the fall, perhaps, at the rate vaccination is going here. This week, Galicia received both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but no AstraZeneca, which means no one my age is getting their shot until next week. I am in favor of the European Union, though it needs fixing in some areas, and I tend to support it, but they bungled it with the vaccines. Someone assumed central distribution would be better than each country buying according to their needs. Well, not this time. With the snail pace of vaccination, fatigue grows, and so does contagion. 

Maybe I'll go for a drive tomorrow afternoon.

Life continues.

 



Comments

  1. I think this present Covid-19 situation is going to last a lot longer than expected.
    My advise is to take up a new hobby like writing, art - in its many forms, re-decorating, knitting or any such homely endeavours.
    Then we have the real beginnings of Global Warming in about 30 years. I think I might just about miss that one, but sadly future generations will suffer. This is all due to the abuse of our once beautiful world by mankind. Let's hope this once great planet survives this devastating period of man. And he is able to learn lessons from these ghastly images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are destroying our world. Let's hope it survives.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not So Fast, 9. Fairness.

We're Moving!

In Normal Times, 1. Blinking Awake.